Part of our mission at Holy Cross is to build a better community, trusting in God’s love and care for all creation through Christ’s presence among us.
Worship Liturgy + Sundays at 10 am
All Christian activity begins and ends in worship of God and with God’s holy people. Our worship reflects the ancient rhythm of being CALLED together, hearing the WORD, sharing a holy MEAL, and being SENT in blessing. Our worship recalls the ancient words of sacred stories and songs. In worship, we cast our net far into the future, trusting in God’s infinite love, through Christ Jesus. All other activities you see the people of Holy Cross engaged in, generate from worship: working for justice, learning at our edge of knowledge, feeding the hungry, visiting the lonely and being a place of hospitality.
Teaching & Learning + Sundays at 9 am
In addition to worship, we nurture our faith by gathering together to study biblical texts and theology, in the context of our own lives. This is not a place we try to fill up with knowledge, but support each other and wonder together as we seek to know God.
- Holy Cross+Generational class happens on important days in the church year and throughout the summer months. Gather with the whole community for learning fun in the Fellowship Hall.
- Adult & Youth Class gathers in the Pastor’s Study for conversation shaped by faith and public life.
- Children from Pre-K through fifth grade participate every Sunday at 9:00 a.m. Gather in the Fellowship Hall for a light breakfast, and then we will go to our classes together. Younger children share the time in Godly Play, and older children learn along with the lectionary cycle through the Spark bible.
Fellowship, Coffee and Treats
Following worship, we gather in the Fellowship Hall and visit.
We begin practice at 9:00 a.m. on the first and third (and any fifth) Sundays of each month. This allows choir members to participate in adult Christian education bi-weekly.
Co-workers in the Body of Christ
We are sent from worship to help build a better community. Holy Cross folks are busy throughout week, from sending to gathering again, doing God’s work with our hands. Here are some of our partners in this work:
- Austin City Lutherans is a collaboration of Austin-area Lutheran churches serving food pantries in Christ’s ministry. We support this ministry financially through our offerings, and Holy Cross folks volunteer in the Bread for All food pantry on Monday evening at Prince of Peace Lutheran Church.
- ReconcilingWorks – A Christian Ministry affirming God’s love for people of all sexual orientations and gender identities since 1974.
- Bread for the World is a collective Christian voice urging our nation’s decision makers to end hunger at home and abroad. By changing policies, programs and conditions that allow hunger and poverty to persist, we provide help and opportunity far beyond the communities where we live.
- Lutheran World Relief development projects focus on issues at the root causes of poverty. Fair trade coffee and tea is for sale in the Fellowship Hall. The “Grace Knot(ter)s” (a part of the Society of Martha’s) make hundreds of quilts each year and assemble layette packs for distribution through Lutheran World Relief. Join them on meet on Wednesdays, from about 9:30 am-3pm. Come and join us for an hour, part of the day, or the whole day, whatever your schedule (and inclination) allows, share your talents, help us work (we “lay out” and knot quilts, pack up Lutheran World Relief kits) or just “hang out” – contribute to a worthwhile cause, have fun, and enjoy good fellowship!
- Meals on Wheels has been distributed from the Holy Cross center since 1977.